Friday, January 15, 2010

Mobil Giving

The Mobile Giving Foundation called it a "mobile-giving record" for funds raised for a single cause. Donations are rising swiftly. They are receiving up to 10,000 text messages per second. The foundation said more than $11 million has been donated.

Cellphone users can donate $5 to Haiti-born hip-hop musician Wyclef Jean's Yele Haiti Earthquake Fund by texting the word "Yele" to 501501, or they can donate $10 to other nonprofit organizations, such as the American Red Cross, by texting the word "Haiti" to a specified number, like 90999. The donation is charged to a user's cellphone bill.

Wireless carriers Verizon Wireless, AT&T Inc, Sprint and T-Mobile USA, and a unit of Deutsche Telekom AG, have waived fees for customers wishing to send mobile donations. Carriers are also letting users know they are not taking a cut of the donations.

This devastation will unfortunately be a lasting one. It will require years and years of rebuilding efforts. Let's support the Haitians in the rebuilding process.

May we not forget them and their plight as time passes and our lives move forward♥

5 comments:

Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

I donated to Doctor's Without Borders.
My heart goes out to the people of Haiti.Hugs Darcy

Nik said...

This is excellent information to have.

Ria said...

I also donated to DWD.

Barbara deG said...

I thought food and medical care being most critical, I'd give to Doctors without Borders who are already in Haiti, and CARE. I love the cell phone giving, and love Wyclef but it seems there are some questions about his foundation and how they have spent past donations in Saturday's Post. He has responded and I hope that is enough to reassure folks.

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you posted this. I donated to Wyclef's Yele Haiti (via text to 501501) and to UNICEF at their internet site. There is so much to be done that I don't think we can give too much.

Finally found out on Sunday that the father of a good friend who went missing while visiting Haiti (their home country) has been found alive and well. Thank God.

Although I know there's no good answer (Pat Robertson's ignorance notwithstanding), I have to ask: Why Haiti? Why these people who have so little and who have already been through so much?